April 21, 2013

A Walk in a Graveyard

    One cold, dark Halloween night, I decided to take a shortcut through the graveyard. I walked along the bent fence all the way to the rusted gate. The grass was dying and the leaves were falling. I stepped in a crunchy pile of brown leaves. There were acorns all over and the branches of the tall trees swayed in the breeze. The full moon and stars were shining brilliantly bright. I suddenly hit something with my foot. I looked to see what it was and saw a small grey headstone in my way. I heard a faint crying sound in the distance. I looked over my left shoulder to see a little old woman standing there holding a bundle of wilted red roses. She had tears running down her face, leaving little watery trails that the others would follow. She couldn’t stop the tears from flowing as she looked at the grave of a loved one. She was wearing a large brimmed black hat that hid some of her face, but not all. It looked very fancy with it’s small black flowers, white lace, and silver stitching. She placed the bundle and a small glowing lantern on the grave. As I looked away I put my hands in my pockets. I found a small colorful piece of candy and popped it in my mouth. It tasted both sweet and sour. As I rolled it in my mouth I started my journey back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey leave me a comment about what I write...